Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lion of Fairfax.

I car-pooled with my buddy Jeff from SJ to Fairfax, which was great. We had fun chatting on the way up and arrived with time to spare. It was a warm sunny day and the course was fun. A ride up, a run-up, fast sections, technical turns a touch of mud, grass, pavement. It was a great course.

On our way to sign in we spotted Ned Overend. AKA Deadly Nedly, aka The Lung. Multi-time world and national XC mountain bike champion. A living legend of bike racing. I had to stop mid warm-up just so that I could shake his hand. We chatted about the course and then all went back to warming up.

We lined up for the start and I was in the second row. I had a great start, putting myself in about seventh place, one or two back from Deadly Nedly. I was pretty happy about that. I slipped back about two more spots and got on a good wheel. I managed to stay in that spot for about three laps, but on lap four I managed to loose control on the descent and rode off course into some bushes. I didn't crash. But when I got back on track I had lost five or seven places, along with my desire to keep racing. I dropped out a lap later. That is very rare for me.

So after that experience, along with the constant waffling about racing and training for the last few weeks I decided to take today off and skip CCCX #3. We'll see how things go over the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment