Saturday, April 10, 2010

Self review of my blog.

I chose to use a right column layout with two columns. One column is twice as wide as the other. I liked that it put the content first as well as making navigation more instantly accessible to readers.

The header is based on a five unit grid, splitting it between a one unit section and a four unit section. The body of the page is on a three column grid in a right column layout.

For contrast I chose to use my favorite complimentary colors of orange and blue. From there I went with colors that would match the orange and blue feature without being difficult to read or too monochromatic. I also chose contrasting colors to make text more visible.

Besides using contrasting colors I also manipulated the size of different types of texts to set them apart. For example, titles of posts are both larger and a different color from the body of the post. Likewise, links will change from a highly visible color to a less visible color after being clicked on.

The amount of "white space" in this layout adds a sense of simplicity and sophistication that I like. It keeps the page from being cluttered and looking like a page full of ads in a phone book.

Because of the template I chose the proximity of different items is strongly delineated by blocks of different colors, but even within those blocks items that are related are grouped in tighter proximity, making the page easy to navigate both visually and electronically.

The repetition of colors, fonts, and shapes helps tie the whole page together so that it flows from top to bottom and side to side. This makes the page pleasant to take in so that the reader doesn't have to struggle to find whatever they are looking for and feel at ease while viewing the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment